I don’t have a fixed skincare routine that stays the same from day to day. I prefer to change things up to adapt to current conditions. So in lieu of a fixed routine, here I’ve listed all the current and incoming building blocks of my full morning and evening skincare routines. For some examples of how I might mix, match, add, and drop products to create custom routines for specific skin issues or life circumstances, check out my Instagram or the posts in my Routine Building category!
Products provided by sponsors are marked with double asterisks(**).
My Skincare Lineup That I Generally Don’t Put All On my Face At once
Eye makeup remover: Since I got my eyelash extensions, I’ve had to rethink eye makeup removal. I currently use a lid and lash wash bottled and sold by my lovely lash artist, Ashley Thompson from Lashes by Ashley.
Cleansing oils: Emulsifying oil-based sunscreen and makeup removers used as the first step in my evening double cleanse. I use these very carefully due to my lashes, since they must not come in contact with the glue!
- Amorepacific Treatment Cleansing Oil**
Cleansing Waters: When I don’t want to use a cleansing oil; to loosen sunscreen and makeup before cleansing or to do a light cleanse on lazy mornings.
- Thankyou Farmer Back to Iceland Cleansing Water
- Huxley Secret of Sahara Cleansing Water**
Second Cleansers: To cleanse face in the morning and to remove all traces of oil cleanser residue and cleanse face in the evening.
- Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Foam EX**
- Sulwhasoo Snowise EX Cleansing Foam
- Tosowoong Enzyme Powder Wash
Actives: Evening only; to build collagen, lighten dark spots, accelerate skin turnover rate, and clear pores by loosening dead skin cells for faster shedding.
March 2017 note: I’m currently not using tretinoin until further notice in order to discern more accurate results from some anti-aging products in my testing lineup.
Toners: To soften skin after cleansing and prepare it for optimal absorption of any skincare products applied afterwards.
- Amorepacific Time Response Skin Renewal Toner**
- Sulwhasoo Essential Balancing Water EX**
Essences: To hydrate and deliver a moderate amount of skincare actives and antioxidants.
Serums/ampoules: To deliver highly concentrated doses of skincare actives and antioxidants.
- Amorepacific Time Response Skin Renewal Serum**
- Holy Snails Shark Sauce – Megalodon (limited edition giant size of Shark Sauce; my 6th? Shark Sauce)
- LJH Vita Propolis Ampoule
All-in-one creams: AB creams labeled “All In One” are typically much more lightweight and less occlusive than traditional moisturizing creams; while they may provide enough moisture for oily complexions, they are useful to those of us with less generous oil production as serums in cream format.
- COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream (5/5, my 4th? jar)
Sheet masks and hydrogels: For extra hydration and skin-friendly ingredients. I use one mask a night, minimum, and if I get up early enough in the morning, I like to sheet mask then as well, with a focus on photoprotective antioxidants.
Moisturizers: To seal in previous skincare steps and reinforce the moisture barrier against water loss.
- Amorepacific Time Response Skin Renewal Creme**
- Amorepacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra-Gel**
Sleeping packs: A little more occlusive than regular moisturizing creams and often with more intensive targeted ingredients, sleeping packs treat while you sleep.
- Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask
- Sulwhasoo Radiance Energy Mask**
- 23.5°N jelly masks (all flavors)
Eye stuff: For hydrating and moisturizing the eye area.
- Amorepacific Intensive Vitalizing Eye Essence**
- Amorepacific Time Response Eye Renewal Creme**
Sunscreen: Nonnegotiable everyday UV protection.
March 2017 note: I am currently testing a whopping 13 different sunscreens(!!!) for a big spring project. No, my sunscreen wardrobe is not usually this extensive. It is quite fun, though.
- Sulwhasoo Age-Veil UV Protection Cream** (not recommended)
- Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence (2017 version, not the one in the linked review)
- A’pieu Pure Block Aqua Sun Gel**
- A’pieu Natural Sun Cream**
- Graymelin Moisture Sun Essence**
- Hera Sun Mate Leports Pro Sweatproof [Sunscreen]**
- Primera UV Protector Skin Relief**
- Innisfree Perfect UV Protection Cream (Long Lasting)**
- Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream (No Sebum)**
- Laneige Aqua+ Sun Block**
- Eclado UV Natural Perfect Sun Cream**
- Missha All Around Safe Block (Mild Sun)**
- SanDaWha Mild Sun Block Serum**
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70 (3.8/5, my 5th bottle)
- Gently exfoliate with B-Lab I Am Sorry Just Cleansing Peeling Gel**, Skinfood Rice Mask Wash Off, Goodal Phytowash Yerba Mate Bubble Peeling or Manyo Factory Active Refresh Herb Peel**
- Hydrate, clarify, and brighten with I’m From Honey Mask (1-2x/month; my 3rd jar)
Keep an eye on this page, as it changes regularly. And as always, remember that my routine is only an example, not a template!