I don’t have a fixed skincare routine that stays the same from day to day. I prefer to change things up to adapt to current conditions. So in lieu of a fixed routine, here I’ve listed all the current and incoming building blocks of my full morning and evening skincare routines. For some examples of how I might mix, match, add, and drop products to create custom routines for specific skin issues or life circumstances, check out my Instagram or the posts in my Routine Building category!
My Skincare Lineup That I Generally Don’t Put All On my Face At once
Cleansing oils: Emulsifying oil-based sunscreen and makeup removers used as the first step in my evening double cleanse. I use these very carefully due to my lashes, since they must not come in contact with the glue!
- illi Fresh Moisture Cleansing Oil**
Cleansing Waters: When I don’t want to use a cleansing oil; to loosen sunscreen and makeup before cleansing or to do a light cleanse on lazy mornings.
- Hyggee All-In-One Care Cleansing Water**
Second Cleansers: To cleanse face in the morning and to remove all traces of oil cleanser residue and cleanse face in the evening.
- Whamisa by Glow Recipe Green Tea Foaming Cleansing Gel**
- SanDaWha Aqua Natural Mild Cleansing Gel**
Actives: Evening only; to build collagen, lighten dark spots, accelerate skin turnover rate, and clear pores by loosening dead skin cells for faster shedding.
- Curology 0.07% tretinoin/5% MAP/4% (subscribed for 13 months)
- Swanicoco Pore Clearance**
- Eclado PHA Soft Peel 15**
First Essences: To soften skin after cleansing and prepare it for optimal absorption of any skincare products applied afterwards as well as provide specialized skincare benefits.
Toners: To plump and hydrate skin and provide moderate skincare benefits.
- Whamisa by Glow Recipe Green Tea Serum Toner**
Essences: To hydrate and deliver a moderate amount of skincare actives and antioxidants. Term is sometimes interchangeable with serum, depending on brand.
- COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
- Amorepacific Vintage Single Extract Essence**
Serums/ampoules: To deliver highly concentrated doses of skincare actives and antioxidants.
- Sulwhasoo Capsulized Ginseng Fortifying Serum**
- Swanicoco Plant Stem Pure Ampoule**
- Whamisa by Glow Recipe Chai Tea Serum-In-Cream**
All-in-one creams: AB creams labeled “All In One” are typically much more lightweight and less occlusive than traditional moisturizing creams; while they may provide enough moisture for oily complexions, they are useful to those of us with less generous oil production as serums in cream format.
- COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream (5/5, my 4th? jar)
Sheet masks and hydrogels: For extra hydration and skin-friendly ingredients. I use one mask a night, minimum, and if I get up early enough in the morning, I like to sheet mask then as well, with a focus on photoprotective antioxidants.
Moisturizers: To seal in previous skincare steps and reinforce the moisture barrier against water loss.
- Amorepacific The Essential Creme Fluid**
- Whamisa by Glow Recipe Green Tea Moisturizer**
- Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
- Amorepacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra-Gel
- Hyggee All-In-One Care Cream
- Hanyul Pure Artemisia Calming Cream**
Sleeping packs: A little more occlusive than regular moisturizing creams and often with more intensive targeted ingredients, sleeping packs treat while you sleep.
- Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask
- Sulwhasoo Radiance Energy Mask**
- Far too many flavors of Naruko Night Gelly** to list
Eye stuff: For hydrating and moisturizing the eye area.
- Naruko Rose & Botanic HA Aqua Cubic Youth Eye Complex**
- Whamisa by Glow Recipe Chai Tea Eye Cream**
Sunscreen: Nonnegotiable everyday UV protection.
Keep an eye on this page, as it changes regularly. And as always, remember that my routine is only an example, not a template!